Saturday, July 19, 2008

Air, Brain and Physical Conditioning.

I was looking back at my first entry and I think I wanted this blog to be a little more issue oriented. Maybe I'll try that.

I was reading the news for the past hour or so, enjoying my Saturday hangover.[Perhaps I'll talk about last night at some point] Normally, I just go onto google news every now and then and try to randomly read articles but I went to specific sites today.

I don't know why I thought I would like the Huffington Post. It seems creative, interesting, hip and young-- I should be a good fit. But I was reading a few articles for about a half hour and many of the arguments were utterly unconvincing. I couldn't help tearing them apart in my head. It's also a tad too liberal for my tastes.

I am starting to like BBC, though-- I think they have a good, critical way of reporting. Perhaps a bit liberal but it doesn't bother me as much, for some reason.

The people on Biased-BBC seem to have a problem with it, though.

Maybe the Telegraph would be a better fit. Hmm.

In other news. Hopefully I remember to talk about this. The link features a video of verbal fisticuffs between Whoopi Goldberg and Elisabeth Hasselbeck, on the View. I've seen the show maybe twice, tops, and even I knew enough to predict the ending: someone crying.



Anyway, they're arguing about the use of the n word. After posting on some Black Gay forums[I'd link but...perhaps some anonymity here and there is a good thing], I've been thinking about my own position on it as well-- I don't know if I've done my obligatory post on the n-word. Might as well do it now.

It bothers me when someone who doesn't have a good reason to use it uses it. Namely, those who do it because they're friends are doing it or it's in vogue or whatever. The only acceptable reason to use the n-word is to de-power it, if someone has the deliberate intent in mind of reducing the word's power and taking ownership of it.

Of course, even by using it without having some sort of agenda to reduce the stigma around the n-word, you still reduce its stigma. Albeit unconsciously. So perhaps my position doesn't have a leg to stand on after all. Part of me realizes this, which is why I've gradually become more liberal about it, but it's still not a word I use or see myself ever using. Might have something to do with the way I was raised.

Elisabeth's line about "trying to live in the same world" struck me. Is that really the goal? I disagree for the most part.

But I'm tired of talking about the n word.

In other news, currently reading:



My edition is different but this one has a cooler cover. I feel as if there are a slew of books that people are expected to have read before college or in college, this being one of them. So I'm giving it a go before it gets to late.

It's alright so far; I'm about a hundred pages in. Maybe I'll try to plow through it today.

Hopefully I can keep this up-- talking about books, I mean. If there's anything I actually *do* often, it's read. Maybe next entry I'll make a list of recommendations or start doing reviews here.

I'm off. Later, duckies.

3 comments:

fuzzy said...

the N word, may fly out every now and then when I am not paying attention. Most often it is followed by an oops or apology. I don't like it and tell my friends to stop using the word! I think I will do my own post on it!

Books? Not a fan of book reading! I'll do it, won't be happy about it!

jack's invisible m.e. said...

is it just the youtube copy or was whoopi being bleeped out a lot?

also - saturday hangover?

Tales from a Juggernaut said...

It wasn't youtube. The network had to bleep her out; she was saying the n word and cursing a bit, from what I read.

And yeah, Saturday Hungover. Friday was a sh!tshow.