Sunday, January 23, 2011

System's end

So, it's been a month, but I wanted to update with this tidbit that I was reading about on Above the Law, a law gossip site.

The story is here: link.

The number of first-time test-takers for the December LSAT went down 16%, which is very exciting! I recommend all of my friends to not apply to law school, so anything pointing to a decrease in law school admission is a good thing.

To be honest, though, I do think my entering law school wasn't a bad choice, though probably not the best one. I was a listless college senior with no real marketable skills, hated the nonprofit work I was doing, and wanted to make a lot of money. I was seduced by law schools with their median incomes and their fee waivers. Regardless, I didn't think very hard about the decision to go to law school which definitely was not a good idea.

The smartest thing to do would have been to apply to a master's program like I'd originally planned or go back to China for a while. But I was seized with this bizarre sense of urgency, that I needed to get it down immediately, that if I'd sat down I wouldn't get back up to go to school.

And now I'm halfway done with law school.

Anyway, I lucked out somehow with how things have been going, but any sign that people aren't going so eagerly into the law school game is a good thing, IMO. The market is still correcting itself and it's really tough. I remember being so idealistic about international law and getting published...somehow I lost that when I encountered the 1L grade curve. Haha.

Trying to get it back now.

Anyway, things have been good thus far. Maybe I'll go to the gym today.

Later, guys.

No comments: