Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sweet land, sore stones

If there's one thing being abroad has done for me, it's given me a love for politics.

Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy politics before I left-- I did. But I only started actively reading political material outside of class after I encountered fairly antiAmerican feeling abroad.

If you'll take a break from the Obama-steria for a minute, I'd like to direct you to an article on Medvedev's state of the nation address today.

Medvedev article.

From the article:

"Mr Medvedev blamed the US for the global financial crisis, saying that the rest of the world had been "dragged down with it into recession". He claimed that the era of American domination after the collapse of the Soviet Union was now over.

'The world cannot be ruled from one capital. Those who do not want to understand this will only create new problems for themselves and others,' he said. "

That's what he thinks.
The unipolar moment has not ended. While Russia will attempt to reestablish its sphere of influence and China will continue to grow, jerkily[I'm waiting for the next food scare], Mevedev's forceful language about Washington's ability to rule the world is unconvincing.

This empire's still got time left. And I think people are gonna be surprised by how much more effective Obama's hand at it is going to be. Dominance with a smiling face, under the guise of US-directed multilaterism.

Curiously, Medvedev didn't mention Obama's victory not once. It partly seems passive agressive, partly imprudent. But I also remember a statement from Medvedev about his dissatisfaction with both candidates, so I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that he failed to mention Obama as the POTUS elect.

I cannot wait to see Obama's appointees.

II.

I think one of the most major barriers to education is knowing where to get it.
Or at least for me.

No matter how much I read DailyKos, MyDD, Powerline, and so forth, I could never catch up to the know-it-alls in my political science classes.

I think I'm getting closer.

Step one: Pundits aren't that important.
They aren't. The aforementioned may be popular, but bloggers have yet to become as influential as guys like William Kristol, Paul Krugman, etc.

Step two: Find stuff?

I'll now share what I'm trying to read.

The Economist.
Bloomberg.
The Weekly Standard.
The Council on Foreign Affairs.

As well as other things like The Drudge Report, The Telegraph, NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post.

Part III?
I kind of want to be a politician, after hearing about some of the voter fraud going on at home.
We'll see.

--

And these are my thoughts on a post-Obama victory day.
I'm at work.
I have a midterm in that blasted anime class today. Hopefully I do well enough to counteract my bad grade on the paper.

Later.

2 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I love these post obama thoughts!!! Love them!

Grapie said...

Ooooh nifty. I've been getting emails from CFR for a while now but its gotten to the point where I just skim through it.