Monday, September 22, 2008

A Lesson in Irresponsibility

So, instead of reading or studying for LSATs, I watched a Devil Wears Prada on recommendation from my baby, Jeremy.

Normally I don't take movies seriously-- normally, I don't watch movies period. But why not take it seriously? Why not take everything seriously?

Anyway, good movie-- not something I'd consider a favorite, but fun to watch. By the end, I thought the movie repudiated what Miranda stood for-- or not repudiated, perhaps, but at least made clear that there were concessions she'd made for her fabulous life. A life without love, without knowing how to be altruistic or to ever do anything without expecting something in return.

I almost wanted to go into a "what is love?" shpiel, but I forgot that I don't believe in it.

I immediately thought of Atlas Shrugged after I finished the movie. AS is definitely one of my favorite books of all time, if not my favorite, but I don't know that I find Randian characters to be ethical.

I talked about the movie with Jeremy afterward, who disagreed with...more or less everything I thought about the movie, I think.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I want to try out this little experiment.

A life of no-nonsense, of very little patience, of a lack of compassion to everyone who hasn't broken their backs to earn it.

I suspect at the end of the day, I'll be dissatisfied-- that this lifestyle isn't categorically valid, but...let's pretend I'm going to test this unbiasedly.

I'm pretty sure I read some things trashing this type of egoism in an ethical theory class. I should look those up again.

Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please see my response.

Jeremy C Bradley said...

It wasn't directed at you, but your post made me think of how people are constantly saying things like "we ..."

I would almost bet that the article your professor had you read attacked egoism in general, when in fact there are three (or four depending on how one looks at it) forms of egoism. It is hard to make general attacks on a subject that can be very diverse. Sort of like saying things about Christians "in general" when there are so many branches of Christianity. Not that I haven't made some generalizations in my time, just an observation.

P.S.: Where have you been all day?