Sunday, June 3, 2007

Catching the spirit that travels throughout time.

New word:

effete - decadent: marked by excessive self-indulgence and moral decay; "a decadent life of excessive money and no sense of responsibility"; "a group of effete self-professed intellectuals"

Now, that's a word I think I'll actually use.

So, let's see. I feel pretty great. I helped Summer move yesterday, which utterly destroyed my back. And my arms. But mainly my back.

And it really helped me work off a lot of the anger I was feeling. It could just be me, and it most likely is, but I can really get tied up in my own emotions and abstractions. And just get really dramatic. And I think it's really just the result of bourgeois privilege, to some extent-- yeah, emotional health, all that, but there are people dying and suffering everyday. And I'll also be alive for decades to come, barring some freak accident-- oh, please don't let me get hit by a bus. These little things like being pissed or disappointed really don't matter most of the time.

So, the point is, getting really physical and just...not overemphasizing my thoughts and analyzing everything really helps me get over my teenage dramatics. So, I'm thankful.

Oh, and my hard drive is broken, which is really upsetting. But I only had it as of two weeks ago, so it's really not that big of a deal, I guess. But I will be sending it in for an exchange first thing in the morning. And trying to get my passport. And canceling my AOL service before I get a bill. And looking for a job.

I guess it's good to finally have real things to do, as opposed to the utter stress and tedium from school. I've got three new books that I want to read too. So we'll see how everything goes.

A few things that actually caught my notice: I start my sentences with 'I' far too often to be a good writer. Looking through my entries and just other documents that I've written on the fly, it's obvious that I've still got this instinctive habit to put an I in. I, I, I. Freshman year, my professor-- whom I often had creative differences with-- got me to think of some of my favorite writers. Baldwin, Hemingway, Irwin, Steinbeck, whoever. Diverse sentence construction is a good thing-- there's no need to start with I all of the time. Who else is talking such that you need to clarify who the actor is so often? Especially in my blog entries, since I'm very often the only actor in any experience I'll relate.

Actually, I don't really know how I feel about it, still.

Also, on Myspace, some of my friends are absolutely obsessed with these glamor icons, especially the gay black/latino boys. And it still doesn't make sense. I certainly joke a lot about loving Paris/Nicole/whoever, but to some extent I realize it's all a big joke-- somewhere, anyway. And I...don't think most other people feel that way.

Originally I had more to say on this point but cartoons are stealing my attention.

Also, my subject title inspires a great fondness in me.

No comments: